Windyridge Gardens at Mount Wilson dates from 1877, with the first planted tree, a Swiss Christmas Tree (Abies amabilis) in August 1945. Now the garden includes Cedrus deodara, copper beech, pin oaks, maples, ginkos, azaleas, rhododendrons, dogwoods and nyssas.
During Easter 1995, Rodger and Wai Davidson, of Davidson's Nurseries at Galston, in Sydney, purchased Windyridge to accommodate their expanding collection of cold climate plants. Work commenced under Wai's supervision to transform Windyridge into a grand garden. After tree maintenance work, Landscape Architect Gordon Sykes was retained to terrace and plant a vast grassy slope and give substance to the new owners' vision.
Mount Wilson is just two hours northwest of Sydney, 3,000 feet above sea level and ringed by cool green rainforests.