The Yarram and District Historical Society has a long and distinguished history. First formed in May 1911, it was the first sub-history centre of The Royal Historical Society of Victoria to be formed in Victoria.
Under the leadership of Rev. George Cox this group flourished until Rev. Cox in 1915 enlisted and went to serve in the war,the group then closed. The Society was reformed in 1964.
The Society has many items of historical interest, large archives of local history, books, photographs, ephemera and other memorabilia covering the Old Alberton Shire.
The records of the Yarram & District Historical Society include the areas and towns of Yarram, Alberton, Tarraville, Port Albert, Woodside, Tarra Valley, Won Wron, Macks Creek, Carrajung, Devon North, Jack River, Alberton West, Alberton East, Gelliondale, Hedley, Stacey's Bridge, Blackwarry, Balook, Baloong, Willung, Binginwarri, Willung South, Calrossie, Hiawatha, Woranga, Wonyip, Darriman and Giffard.